13 February 2012

Drained

So, it's past time to update on the outcome of my ascites. After a week-and-a-half of suffering with them, I had my regular pre-chemo doctor's appointment last Tuesday 7th February. After going in super-early for blood work, at the actual doctor's appointment Dr. Katakkar examined me and felt the ascites had consolidated into a big enough pocket that he could drain it. After a small needle to freeze an area upper-left of my belly button, he was able to easily draw off a small sample of the fluid. Then he hooked me up through a third needle to a hose into a 1 litre vacuum glass bottle. The ascites started zooming out into the jar. It was pretty fascinating to watch. This time the color was like apple juice/beer, complete with foamy head because of how fast it came out. We filled nearly three bottles, 2.42 litres in all. It was a great relief and since then I've been able to go off my pain meds and eat a little.

Chemotherapy #11 - Tuesday 7th February - Tuesday 21st February 2012

We also discussed the change in chemo. I came back Thursday 9th February for treatment and was turned away, as the protocol Dr. Katakkar wanted was rejected by the BC Cancer Agency board in Vancouver. After a day to straighten that out, they came up with a compromise chemo (GIGFOLFIRI) to give me Friday. It involved infusion with two new drugs, Irinotecan and folinic acid (leucovorin) followed by an infusion & 2 day baby bottle infusor of 5FU (fluorouracil) that I've had as a 5 day baby bottle before. There was a 1 in 10 chance I would have a specific allergic reaction to the irinotecan, which I did have, so I had to get a shot of atropine in my arm to combat that too. Other than that, everything went smoothly. I was feeling super rough by the time the baby bottle came off Sunday 12th February. The nurse Ava was sweet enough to come into the hospital on Sunday to unhook me & teach Sterling how so he can do it next time. Today I'm still feeling very rough but hopefully on the mend. Bad diarrhea from this one, so lots of immodium & trying to drink lots of fluids.

2 comments:

  1. I've been keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that the ascites were now all consolidated into a big mess so he was able to remove most of it. I see you wrote another blog after this one so I am hoping you are doing a bit better, off to read. Hug.

      Delete